|
Father of Slain Schoolgirl Questions Need to Release Daughter's Name
The father of 12-year-old Satomi Mitarai, who was killed by a classmate at a school in Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture in June 2004, released a brief note on May 31, expressing his sentiments on the first anniversary of his daughter¡Çs death.
Kyoji Mitarai, a senior staff editor at the Mainichi Shimbun, referred in the note to problems in media coverage of criminal cases, based on his experience as a surviving relative of a crime victim who himself works in the media.
Mitarai's daughter was killed by a girl classmate who attacked her with a box-cutter during a lunch break on June 1 last year, after an extended argument over Internet bulletin board messages they had posted on each other's sites.
In his note, the father acknowledged that media coverage helped unearth various aspects of the issue and to deepen social debate. On the other hand, he warned that the so-called ¡Èmedia scrum,¡É has led journalists to harass and abuse victims' families through pack-reporting aimed at extracting comments,¡É making it an extremely stressful situation for victims' families.
He pointed to the media's use of his daughter¡Çs real name and facial photographs, saying that he questioned the wisdom of both moves.
Mitarai said the media might have no choice but to release such data in the initial stage of news reporting, in order report on those who fall victim to crime. However, he concluded that there is no use in continuing to prominently expose victims¡Ç real names after the fact.
On the question of publicizing facial photos of a victim, he said he believed that the family¡Çs prior consent should be required. ¡ÈIt should not be taken for granted that the media can publicize the facial photograph of a victim. Rather, the media should ask themselves whether it is really necessary,¡É he said.
Nonetheless, Mitarai said that it is ultimately the media organizations themselves who should decide upon the anonymity of the victims and their families and take the responsibility for their decision. Letting police or other public authorities decide involves many other problems, he said.
He said that the media's conduct toward victims¡Ç families has been gradually improving, but that many families remain angry and frustrated by the media, which is something the media should never forget.
'Cool Biz' Dress Code Spreads Among Diet Reporters
The government has been pushing its ¡ÈCool Biz¡É casual dress code since June 1, as part of its drive to fight global warming.
Under an agreement among political parties, national legislators are now allowed to dispense with ties and jackets while engaging in formal activities inside the Diet. In addition, all media people are allowed the same relaxed dress. The sole exception involves the plenary sessions in both Diet chambers.
On June 24, temperatures soared beyond 30 degrees C for the first time of the year. However, few reporters followed the ¡ÈCool Biz¡É dress code (as evident in the photo).
One reporter, who did not wear a jacket or tie, said he had the option of going ¡ÈCool Biz¡É as the chairman of the Diet committee he covers is a supporter of the summer-time dress code. His comment suggests that what reporters are wearing in the Diet these days is largely decided by the stance the Diet members they cover are taking on the ¡ÈCool Biz¡É drive itself.
|